Welcome back to CSPN’s Know the Score !
This week, our panel bids farewell to the playing career of Tim Duncan, who officially retired from the NBA. We discuss whether or not he is the best power forward of all time, perspectives on his “non-super, superstar” career, and his most memorable moments on the court. We also review Major League Baseball at the All-Star break, including a stellar final season for “Big Papi” David Ortiz. Finally, a preview of the U.S. women’s gymnastics team and U.S. men’s and women’s track & field teams heading into next month’s Olympics in Rio. Do we have another “Dream Team” assembled? Listen and find out!
All of this, plus our nominees for the weekly #KTSPod awards. Cast your votes on twitter using the hashtag #KTSPolls.
Follow us on twitter @KTSPod, use the hashtag #KTSPod to join the conversation.
This week’s panel includes returning guest Renee B. (@rb218) and KTSPod contributors Tyler Ball (@taball1) and Nubyjas Wilborn (@nwilborn19). This week’s episode is moderated by Don Delarente (@dondelarente)
This show is also available on iTunes, stitcher smart radio, TuneIn radio, SoundCloud, and now on Google Play Music! Subscribe to “Know the Score”, “The CSPN”. or the “Cold Slither Podcast Network” today & tell a friend (or a foe)!
Listen on SoundCloud!
Cast your Vote in our weekly #KTSPolls
Play of the Week
- Bernard Lagat wins 5000 meters to qualify for his fifth Olympics at the US Olympic Trials.
- Former Colorado guard Shannon Sharpe (no relation) with THIS OUTSTANDING DUNK in the Drew League
- Ben Simmons gets a putback dunk in NBA Summer League action.
- Eder’s goal in extra time to give Portugal a 1-0 win in the Euro Final.
Ride the Pine
- Jalen Rose and Isiah Thomas for criticizing Ben Simmons and other athletes for sitting out summer league games.
- Off duty police officers walking off the job at the Target Center in response to the Minnesota Lynx “Black Lives Matter” T-Shirts.
- Golden State F Draymond Green for putting his Olympic roster spot in jeopardy with his assault charge in his college town of East Lansing, Mich.
- Brock Lesnar having been flagged for having a drug test sample found positive.
Score of the Week
- 19: Consecutive seasons San Antonio Spurs had a winning percentage of .600 or better. (THE ENTIRE TIM DUNCAN ERA, including the strike year in ’99.)
- .710: Winning percentage for Tim Duncan’s NBA career, all with the Spurs
- $4 billion: value that the UFC was sold for to WME-IMG
- 3: Number of Triple Plays the White Sox have turned this season.
This week’s guest panelist:
Digital content coordinator & bit of a social media junkie Bookstore dweller & music lover. Sports fan too (esp. gymnastics & other Olympic sports + football).
Follow her on twitter @rb218
Check out her gymnastics blog at http://goldenaerial.tumblr.com
Check out her personal blog at http://personalpensism.wordpress.com
Sounds for Know the Score provided by Zip Leathers.
About the Know the Score team:
“I consider myself a sports super nerd. I’m #HTTR and #BeatDook till I die.” Member of the #RampantBlackNeckaryCrew. Don is also the co-host of CSPN’s pro wrestling podcast The WrassleCast.
Follow Don on twitter @DonDelarente
Tyler Ball has amassed a wealth of knowledge and experience covering intercollegiate sports, particularly at the Historically Black College and Universities (HBCU) of our nation.With over 10 years of service at N.C. A&T State University, Tyler has had access to some of the best athletes over the past 20 years. Tyler is a Sports Media Journalist and blog contributor whose work has been featured in the Associated Press, ESPN, and Sports Illustrated.
Follow Tyler on twitter @taball1
“Crossfitter, born again Runner & craft beer lover. multimedia sports journalist. Here to incite, enlighten, & entertain.” Nubyjas is a health/fitness & food reporter for the Tallahassee Democrat.
Follow Nubyjas on twitter @nwilborn19