Welcome back to CSPN’s Know the Score !
This week, our panel begins with a reflection on the career and impact of departed ESPN sports reporter John Saunders, who passed away recently. Then, some NFL discussion with fallout from the cancelled Hall of Fame game and a head-scratching QB tier list released by ESPN. Next, our panel reflects on all of the major wins for the USA at the Rio Olympics, including gold medals for Simone Biles, Simone Manuel, Michael Phelps, Katie Ledecky, and Michelle Carter. Finally, a look in on two departures in Major League Baseball, with possible career finales for Alex Rodriguez and Prince Fielder. and a major milestone finally reached for Ichiro Suzuki.
All of this, plus our nominees for the weekly #KTSPod awards. Cast your votes on twitter using the hashtag #KTSPolls.
Follow us on twitter @KTSPod, use the hashtag #KTSPod to join the conversation.
This week’s panel consists of the entire Know the Score team, and is moderated by Don Delarente (@DonDelarente)
This show is also available on iTunes, stitcher smart radio, TuneIn radio, SoundCloud, and now on Google Play Music! Subscribe to “Know the Score”, “The CSPN”. or the “Cold Slither Podcast Network” today & tell a friend (or a foe)!
Listen on SoundCloud!
Cast your Vote in our weekly #KTSPolls
Play of the Week
- Chris Mortensen receiving McCann Award for journalism at the HoF
- Diana Taurasi breaks her own Olympic record with her sixth 3-pointer against Serbia
- Simone Manuel for being the first African-American woman to win a gold medal in swimming
- Michelle Carter wins the gold in shotput, the first women’s gold for Team USA
Ride the Pine
- San Diego Chargers-organization for not figuring out a contract for Joey Bosa
- Patrick Peterson for his verbal sparring with DeSean Jackson and Josh Norman over Madden ratings
- Ed Werder – Via twitter, comparing Prince Fielder’s 102 million dollar exit guarantee with the issue of the City of Dallas police/firefighter to get raises. The Texas Rangers play their games in Arlington.
- Hope Solo – “we lost to a bunch of cowards. The better team did not win” after USA lost to Sweden
Score of the week
- 14 – Career Olympic Goals by Brazilian striker Cristiane, a new record.
- 58 – Final round score carded by Jim Furyk, at The Traveler’s, the first ever in PGA history. (Note: Furyk, is of the six people to record a “59”)
- 1-Michelle Campbell’s gold medal for the shot put, the first ever for U.S. women
- $740,000-Amount of money (USD, or 1 milion Singapore dollars) that Joseph Schooling will earn from Singapore Olympic Council for beating his idol Michael Phelps in the 100m fly
Sounds for Know the Score provided by Zip Leathers.
About the Know the Score team:
“I consider myself a sports super nerd. I’m #HTTR and #BeatDook till I die.” Member of the #RampantBlackNeckaryCrew. Don is also the co-host of CSPN’s pro wrestling podcast The WrassleCast.
Follow Don on twitter @DonDelarente
“Crossfitter, born again Runner & craft beer lover. multimedia sports journalist. Here to incite, enlighten, & entertain.” Nubyjas is a health/fitness & food reporter for the Tallahassee Democrat.
Follow Nubyjas on twitter @nwilborn19
Tyler Ball has amassed a wealth of knowledge and experience covering intercollegiate sports, particularly at the Historically Black College and Universities (HBCU) of our nation.With over 10 years of service at N.C. A&T State University, Tyler has had access to some of the best athletes over the past 20 years. Tyler is a Sports Media Journalist and blog contributor whose work has been featured in the Associated Press, ESPN, and Sports Illustrated.
Follow Tyler on twitter @taball1