This episode is dedicated to the memory of ex-Saints Pro-Bowl DE Will Smith, who was shot dead in a road rage incident the night this was recorded. Our thoughts and prayers are with the Smith family, The New Orleans Saints organization and their fans.
Welcome back to CSPN’s Know the Score !
This week, we discuss the thrilling finish to the NCAA men’s championships and the fallout from it, including a new debate about the Crying Jordan meme. Next, we discuss the chances that the Warriors will tie or break the ’96 Bulls’ wins record and where are you now, Bulls fans? Plus, former Sixers GM Sam Hinkie writes the most dramatic resignation letter in history, which our panel tries to make even more dramatic. Finally, we survey the playoff landscape of the NHL, which does not include any Canadian teams, and ask is this really the year that the Washington Capitals go all the way?
All of this, plus our nominees for the weekly #KTSPod awards.
Panelists this week are first-time guests and co-hosts of CSPN’s “Crown & Collards” podcast, Dan (@danchrism) & Jeremey (@blike_dante), & KTSPod co-host Tyler Ball (@taball1).
This week’s episode is moderated by Jessy (@thatssojessy).
What are your picks for Play of the Week, Ride the Pine, & Score of the Week?
Vote in the polls below!
This episode is also now available on SoundCloud!
Vote for this week’s Play of the Week, Score of the Week, and Ride the Pine winners in our twitter polls under #KTSPod & #KTSPolls!
Play of the Week nominees
- Marcus Paige’s game tying shot in the NCAA Men’s National Championship
- Kris Jenkins’ buzzer beater shot for Villanova to win the national title
- Bomani Jones for wearing a Cleveland Caucasians t-shirt on Mike & Mike and stoking the rage of “I’m not racist, but…” twitter
- Stephen Curry’s reverse layup against the Spurs
Ride the Pine nominees
- GREG HARDY’s interview with ESPN’s Adam Schefter, claiming that while he didn’t handle his situation properly, he maintained his innocence, reiterated that he has never hit a woman. (Interview to air in its entirety on Tuesday’s NFL Live (2:30 p.m. ET, ESPN2)
- Tyler Summitt permanently revoking his “Tyler Gang” status by conducting an extramarital affair and impregnating one of his players, forcing his resignation as head coach of Louisiana Tech (oh, by the way, a former women’s basketball power).
- Nerlens Noel for being an awful tenant. He’s being sued by the rental agency for his 54k apt for such violations as leaving marijuana in dressers, 30k in carpet damages, Gatorade stains , multiple clogged toilets, a broken elevator, a tombstone drawing marked RIP at the front doorstep after moving out….AND DEMANDED HIS SECURITY DEPOSIT BACK!!!
- Adam Schefter for taking the okey-doke after the Greg Hardy interview.
Score of the Week nominees
- 23 – Number of years since the Stanley Cup was captured by a team based in Canada
- 1970 – The last time no teams from Canada made the Stanley Cup
- 27- The number of innings the Padres have been held scoreless to start the season
- 24-10-6 – Four time Most Outstanding Player Brianna Stewart’s points-rebounds-assists in UCONN’s 82-54 win over Syracuse, securing UCONN’s 4th straight national title.
This week’s guests
Crown & Collards podcast
Crown & Collards is a weekly discussion podcast here on the CSPN hosted by longtime friends Dan & Jeremey. These two Southern gentlemen take you through the week’s topics and events with their own brand of country-fried humor, drunken uncle honesty, and rib-sticking soul food hilarity. Notable segments include awards given out each week in the spirit of Tyrese, Karl Malone and Bill Cosby, ‘Bring It Byke!’- a monthly look at a memorable period in music from at least 10 years ago, and a reading of select craigslist Missed Connections. This show is best described as “a catfish dinner for your ears”.
Don’t miss The Gridiron Gals & Tommie Collins 2016 NFL Draft Party at Parlay DC on Thursday, April 28th!
Sounds for Know the Score provided by Zip Leathers.
Other sports stories that didn’t make this week’s show
- D’Brickashaw Ferguson retires at age 32.
- ESPN to air 7 ½ hour 30 for 30 doc about OJ
- Rap legend Flavor Flav owns the OJ Simpson statue from the TV show.
- NFL to livestream Thurs night games on twitter next season
- A group of fifth graders is trying to get Kenny Washington, who broke the NFL’s color barrier, into the Hall of Fame. Petition link
About the Know the Score team:
Tyler Ball has amassed a wealth of knowledge and experience covering intercollegiate sports, particularly at the Historically Black College and Universities (HBCU) of our nation.With over 10 years of service at N.C. A&T State University, Tyler has had access to some of the best athletes over the past 20 years. Tyler is a Sports Media Journalist and blog contributor whose work has been featured in the Associated Press, ESPN, and Sports Illustrated.
Follow Tyler on twitter @taball1
“I consider myself a sports super nerd. I’m #HTTR and #BeatDook till I die.” Member of the #RampantBlackNeckaryCrew. Don is also the co-host of CSPN’s pro wrestling podcast The WrassleCast.
Follow Don on twitter @DonDelarente
“Crossfitter, born again Runner & craft beer lover. multimedia sports journalist. Here to incite, enlighten, & entertain.” Nubyjas is a health/fitness & food reporter for the Tallahassee Democrat.
Follow Nubyjas on twitter @nwilborn19